Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 8... Headed Home. 4 States, 450+ Miles.

This morning was quite cold. It took me a while to get going. Karen packed up and was on her way about an hour before me. I was nearly packed, but not ready to leave.
The tents....

Fog rolling down the mountain...

I had planned how to get to the IMBC, but I never gave much thought to getting home. Bob had suggested taking hwy 3 north from Enterprise.
Looking back south towards Enterprise, OR..

Thanks for the tip Bob... another ride through the "High Pasture"
Hwy 3 takes you past the Joseph Canyon Overlook.

After the overlook, the highway gets even more interesting. It runs down hill for many miles, There are a few 180 degree turns...

Once the road reaches the bottom, it crosses the Grande Ronde River.... Then climbs back up hill. I stopped at the bottom for a bottle of water.

I finally reached the top, Rattlesnake Summit.

3 became 129 once I crossed into Washington. I rode it all the way to Clarkston, WA. I got on US-12 and rode it all the way to Townsend, MT. I was thinking of camping tonight at the campground just outside of town, but there was no electricity and my netbook battery was low. I also didn't want another cold night inthe tent. I grabbed a room at the Mustang Hotel for $40.
I only took a few pictures along the way...
The sign at the west end of US-12 near hwy- 13.

Last year I saw old saw mill incinerators and didn't know what they were. Now I see these things... any ideas??



Be sure to zoom in on the are near the Oregon-Washington border.
View Larger Map

13 comments:

  1. Love the look of those hair-pins and that winding road sign! Looks like the 14 may have got the chance to have a play...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a lot of fun on this trip. I got to meet some really nice people, and ride some awesome roads.. The bike has had plenty of opportunity to stretch it's legs!!

      Delete
  2. Superb photo's eric. That mountain roads sure looks like fun. 99 miles of twisties. Argggghhh.......(drooling)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 99 mile sign is along US Highway 12. It runs from Lolo Pass on the Montana/Idaho border, all the way across Idaho. It is a good one!

      Delete
  3. We also did the Rattlesnake canyon. Nice 'pasture land'. Great twisties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone will believe Bob's road descriptions after "pasture land" ever again! hehehe.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for coming out and meeting everyone Erik. It was great to meet and ride with you.

    Looks like you found a great road to head out of Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me attend! It's neat to put a face to the names!

      Delete
  5. I knew I should've gotten up early Sunday morning to ride that canyon, oh well, I have an excuse to go back.
    Great meeting and riding with you, we should have torn up that road together. (insert maniacal laugh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good road, but I feel much more confident with out the elevation changes. I MUCH prefer flat and twisty... like Lolo Pass to mountain riding. It was fun to ride with you.
      I'm looking forward to the next get together

      Delete
  6. Great photos Erik ... I knew any road with the name 'snake' in it would look like that (just call it slow Canadian intuition!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't quite the pasture land that Bob described it as, but it wasn't too bad.

      Delete
  7. I thought about taking that road out of town but it sort of headed in he wrong direction...

    I'm starting to like these "high pastures" including the ones that climb an drop. Pretty entertaining. It was great to meet you and the others and I think I learned a lot about cornering these last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete