Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Frustrated...



To be honest, I haven't looked any motorcycle blogs in almost a year, and I have no idea if anybody will even see this. Sometimes, life has a way of messing up your plans.

I won't get into discussing the current state of the world, but I will say we're doing OK up here in the middle of nowhere.

My 2009 Kawasaki Zx-14 has 62,200 miles on it and I've been thinking of selling it for a while now. But, I'm not 100% sure I want to do that though, Do I keep it? Do I sell it? Is that high miles? I mean I really love that bike. I'm weeks away from 60 years old, and even at my age, I still think the Zx-14 is the most comfortable long distance motorcycle I've ever owned. I like it more than either of the two Goldwings I've had, ('98 and '03). The Goldwings seemed really cramped and heavy. I feel that the Zx-14's engine, transmission and chain drive is smoother than the shaft drive FJR1300 that I used to own. Over all, the Zx-14  truly has been my favorite bike! It does everything I ask and never complains. Sure, it developed a leak in the radiator and left me stranded 700 miles from home, but it was my fault for not catching that one. Did I mention I really love that bike....

The only thing I don't like about my Zx-14 is the cost of insurance. I don't know who the actuary is at my insurance company, but they must think that ALL Zx-14 owners are 18 year old, wheelie popping, stunt riding, no experience, hold my beer and watch this.... wow, we'll put that on YouTube, squids! It shouldn't cost a mostly mature, senior citizen, with a credit score over 800, that much for full coverage insurance!


Part of me wants to replace it with a 2019 Kawasaki z900rs Cafe. There are some really good deals out there on new, left over, 2019's, like $2600 off MSRP kind of deals!. I'd prefer a '19 over a '20 because the '19's are green and not the two-tone black and green like the 2020's. The z900rs gets great reviews, there are side cases and luggage racks, taller wind screens, and even different seats available for them, so setting up another long distance ride should be no problem.... And speaking of insurance costs... I asked my agent about the cost to insure it. Get this, I was quoted a price for full coverage, at my current levels, that is CHEAPER than liability only would be on the Zx-14!!! Crazy... They really don't like the Zx !!


              2019 z900rs Cafe

                  photos lifted from dealer web site..



This brings me to the major source of my frustration... Craigslist buyers!!!

I know I've posted before about my frustration with Craigslist sellers. You know the kind, the ones that won't answer emails or their phone. They take one crappy picture and don't bother to drag the bike out of the garage, turn on the garage lights, or even remove the crap from the seat, before taking an under exposed, blurry, picture. They don't offer any details about it, like it's an old school "want ad" in the news paper and they're paying for each word they use. Lastly, and most annoyingly, they can't even manage to spell the brand name correctly... It's written right on the tank FFS!!! This kind of crap isn't limited to just motorcycles. I have more than 80 screen shots of Craigslist ads for Allis Chalmers tractors saved in my computer. Everything from Alice to Ellus Chumblers to Charmbers... WTF!!!

Sorry, anyways...

In the past, I've purchased and sold items on Craigslist and never had a problem  using their email communication system. It keeps inquiries and replies anonymous so no one knows the others real email address. It has worked fine for me, and any legitimate buyers/sellers never seemed to have a problem with it either.... More on this in a minute...

For a couple of months I've had my Zx-14 listed on Craigslist and I've had no real replies, only scammers.

Within minutes of posting the ad the first time I had someone ask if "the item" was still available, and the rest of their email sounded like a 2nd grader wrote it. No punctuation, incredibly bad grammar... In fact, most of the emails that I've received sound like that!!

Then, there's people that ask questions that I have already answered. They would know this IF they had taken the time to actually read the ad. There are people that ask really strange generic questions like, "Does the 'item' have any frame rust and have you replaced any mechanical parts recently?" I replied to that email and said that the Zx, like most modern sport bikes, has an aluminum frame, so, NO, no rust, and that the ad tells all about what I've done to the bike. This same person replied a day later and wanted me to purchase a "history report" from a link that they provided so that "any issues could be discovered". I went to the web site and noticed that it's from some foreign country and it wanted my VIN, credit card number, and 3 digit security code from the back of my credit card... LOL ... No freakin' way that's going to happen. I have had several emails asking for a "history report".

Every one of these weird emails has had one thing in common... They've all said that "craigslist email doesn't work for me" or "craigslist emails don't come through on my computer", or "crags lists mail is Flakey" (yup, just like I typed it). ALL of them want me to reply with my real email address... nope.

Two days after I listed it, I had one email that could have been from a real person, but their email was a little short and asked a one word question.. "$3900?" was all it said... I replied with "no".

This shouldn't be that hard.. Tell me you're interested, ask to come see it, show up, look it over, bring cash, sign title and purchase agreement, drive it or trailer it home..... easy

I've had a couple of people tell me that I should list it on Facebook Marketplace, but I don't Facebook... so...?? Does anyone have an opinion about FB Marketplace??

I'm going to let the current Craigslist ad expire next week and if it doesn't sell I'm not going to relist it.

Maybe this winter I'll show it some love and strip the plastics off and either adjust the valve clearances myself, or find a reliable shop to do it. If I do that, I'll keep it for another 10 years...



That's all for now. I feel better, thanks for letting me vent!





11 comments:

  1. Hello again! I haven’t been on my bike for almost a year now. We have been traveling around in a motorhome which doesn’t have enough payload for a bike...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Hello! I'd miss not being able to ride. I haven't gone on any trips, but I still manage to put some miles on.

      Traveling by motorhome.. that could be fun.

      Stay Safe.

      Delete
  2. Hey Erik, hello! Thought about you last Friday as I stopped at the corner in Cable and bought ice. Saturday met some friends in Seeley for lunch.

    I always had great luck on Craig's but now it's been awhile, both buying and selling. Our last van was the most recent and it was the worst experience.

    Good luck with whichever way you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, thanks. I guess Craigslist can be kind of hit-or-miss. Just this morning I sold Nancy's Scion Xa to a guy from Duluth. So, Craigslist does work... sometimes

      Delete
  3. Hi Eric
    I recently sold my R1 on Facebook Marketplace and I am nodding my head and saying ahuh, along with just about everything you said here.
    I had guys message me offering 10K, when I'd advertised it for 14.
    People were asking question that were answered by reading that add same as you, NO SWAPS. I had about six guys ask if i'd swap for another bike, GSXR, MT, ZX etc.

    A lot of first posts were, whats the lowest you'll go. I ended up by replying whats your best offer. That either stopped them dead or they would come back with something unreasonable like 11K. I said NO lots of times.

    Some people I didn't even respond to as they were just idiots. I was surprise hardly any of them seemed to show any interest in the bike and ask questions about it, most just asked for cheapest price.

    It was a trying time but it eventually sold after 6 months, perhaps covid slowed that down.
    Now its time to look around for a more comfortable bike.

    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, great to hear from you. It's amazing the amount of scam/crap emails I have to wade through. I'm reminded that if I'm average, half the people are dumber than me... And they all shop Craigslist!

      Delete
  4. I am turning 65 next year, and I don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. My 2010 ZX14 will be with me for a long time, hopefully. Last summer I purchased a 1978 KZ-1000 for restoration. Craigslist prices are too much, found mine on Facebook Marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kofla, Hello. I'm quickly getting the feeling that I'll be riding the Zx-14 until I can ride no more! I guess I'll show it some love this winter and get some service done to it.
      Great to hear from you!

      Delete
  5. Hi Eric, same story when I wanted to sell my Harley. I had it parked in the shed for a year contemplating about selling, then put up the ad in the German equivalent of Craigslist resulting in nothing but low-ballers and idiot requests. In the second year of not riding I swapped for another platform and finally got lucky. One serious buyer paying exact the asking price without questioning. I got lucky I guess. Cheers, Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sonja. I guess the "typical craigslist shopper" is a world wide phenomenon. Apparently it's the same all over!

    Thanks for the reply. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to part with these awesome bikes. I recently bought a more touring orientated ST1300 for 2up touring but I just can't sell my 14 ... it just addictive. A well setup 14 is surprisingly comfortable even over 1000 mile days.

    ReplyDelete