Monday, October 21, 2024

My 2023 Trip to the Southwest a year late....

 This post has been a long time in coming. Last year, in August of 2023, I took a trip on my 2019 cafe. It was my first long distance trip on the bike. It was also my first trip out west in several years. My friend John had gone out to South Dakota to attend his 47th Sturgis Rally in a row.  I left home on Thursday August 10th and drove as far as Faulkton, SD for the night. Along the way I had an unscheduled stop in Clark, SD. I had just fueled up and was headed west but there were big storm clouds just a few miles in the direction  I needed to go. I took shelter in the bay of a self service car wash and watched the storm blow thru town... Score one for staying dry.


 




On Friday, I met up with John in Belle Fourche, SD. I arrived early and we took a ride up and down Spearfish Canyon. I spent the night in Belle Fourche and together we headed west the next morning.



We spent the next week riding in beautiful weather with sunny skies and mostly mild temps. We rode through Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah. John is a huge fan of the TV show Skinwalker Ranch. I don't really believe all the hype but find it entertaining. John wanted to get his picture by the entrance to the place. We spent a couple of days based in Vernal Utah while we explored the area.







The east side of the Grand Teton Mountains.



Vernal Utah


John, at the Skinwalker Ranch gate. Cross one item off his bucket list.!


The day before we were to head for home, the temps started to climb. We left Utah ,cut across the corner of Colorado. We did a couple of 480 mile day so we could have an easy 350 mile ride the last day.



3400 miles in 8 days, almost no rain, lots of sun and mild temps too. The cafe delivered 55 to 60 MPG too.





No comments:

Post a Comment