Monday, June 27, 2011

Days 15 and 16.

I'm fine, I was just too tired last night to post anything. After I took a shower, I fell asleep without blogging.

Day 15.
Grangeville, Idaho to White Sulphur Springs, Montana.
I started the day knowing that I'd get to ride Hwy 12 over Lolo Pass. I was excited to ride that road again. I did it last year with John. You can read more about that day HERE. I was having a good time. I had shot a few pictures along Hwy 13 and even got a nice clear one of the "winding road next 99 miles" sign. I stopped to get another picture of the fast moving river, when I noticed the camera was telling me there was no memory card in it. CRAP! All the good pictures I thought I had! Oh well.
From Lolo, I went through Missoula, Helena, and stopped in White Sulphur Springs. I think I was asleep before 9:00 p.m.
I think the rivers along Hwys 13 and 12 are higher this year, than they were last year. There are a lot more areas of white water than I remember from last year. There were also a lot of small islands that had water running over them. There were 2 or 3 foot tall pine trees on those islands.

Another state sign.

There's still snow at Lolo Pass

I saw another one of these things just outside of White Sulphur Springs... any guesses???

Day 16.
White Sulphur Springs, Montana to Wall, South Dakota.
I slept so good last night, that I was up a packed and ready to go by 6:30. I had breakfast at a little place in town called Dori's Cafe. I had scrambled eggs with diced ham in them, toast and hash browns. It was very good. I was east bound by 7:00.
Just 20 miles out of town, I looked down at the gas gauge and looked up to see a deer standing on the left shoulder. He was facing left, looking off the road. I thought he'd just keep going and would be off the roadway, but no, he decided to turn around, and run back across my lane. I missed him by a foot, at the most. I took a short break on the side of the road, then made my way to Harlowtown for gas.
There were a TON of small gnat type bugs on the road. I had to pull in at almost every town and clean my face shield. I was trying to make good time, so most at most of the stops I didn't even get off the bike to clean the face shield.

Before I knew it, I was in Belle Fourche. I gassed up and was thinking about where to end the day. I felt good and it was still only 2:30. I had been thinking of the beef tips from American West restaurant for the last 100 miles. If it were closer to supper time I would've stopped. I drove through Sturgis and stopped in Rapid City. I knew there were a bunch of restaurants near exit 59. I chose the Golden Corral. I ended the day at the Super 8 in Wall.

I should be home before too late tomorrow.


  1. wow how did you see anything out of your visor?

    Nice blog by the way.

  2. Thanks Chillertek. The bugs were thick that day. I perfected the visor cleanning technique, coast up to gas pumps, grab squeegee w/left hand, lean as far left as possible, wipe a few times w/cleaner, dry with back of squeegee, place squeegee back in solution, drive away. I was in and out in seconds.